• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 htenbyslide

htenbyslide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:50 PM

I purchased my ClipShare in DEC 2006, and today noticed hundreds of accounts are being created on my site each day.

Four days ago I changed the site from a free trail site to a paid sign up site.

On October 16, 17, 18, 19 and 20 hundreds of sign ups continued .. without paying the new payment fees I installed on the site.

So this tells me the bots have figured out a back door way to create accounts circumventing the website sign up process.

Can anyone tell me how we can delete all these fake accounts and close the vulnerability. There must be something on the clip share support on how to deal with this problem.

#2 opal

opal

• Customers
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:35 PM

Do You use captcha and email verification?

are they register without using default register 'page'?:)

#3 rmorano123

rmorano123

• Customers
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:31 PM

I have been battling this for a very long time as well. I just ended up hiding the tab for "community" I'd love a fix. Normally, they do not upload an avatar so I am considering redirecting mysite.com/community to mysite.com/community/avatar - this way only actual members appear. 

#4 Danny

Danny

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:14 PM

There are automated softwares that create fake accounts, they also have captcha recognition system, this is a big problem affecting all scripts, including big ones like vbulletin, etc

We will release a re-Captcha integration in a few days, and in ClipShare 5, there will be multiple anti-fake-account measures and options, including key-captcha, and question and answer verification.

#5 alexstorm

alexstorm

Verified Member

• Customers
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:56 AM

Nice to hear about new mods coming along soon.  Read details of my comment in: post 68519

for some other mods I use to combat these pests.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users